Apply for Water Permit

Connecting to the Tallmadge Water Line:

Residential 1” Water Service

  1. Apply for a water permit through the Planning/Zoning Department, 46 North Ave, lower level – cost of permit $1800.00
  2. Homeowner is responsible for the installation of the water line that runs from the house to the street.
  3. Contact the Water Dept. at 330-633-0851 for help in determining where the house line and/or meter pit will be installed. The meter pit needs to be installed close to the City’s right of way.
  4. The guidelines listed below must be followed:
    • Water line must be 1 inch or larger and 5 feet deep
    • Pipe used must be Type K copper tubing
    • Line must be straight from the house to the ditch or curb line, curled up to grade level
    • Water line must have an initial 18 inches of back-fill consisting of either fill sand or dirt free of rocks and debris
    • All water lines must be inspected by the Water Dept. before covered up, especially those with unions, joints, and other connection fittings
    • Once the inspection is made, the service connection will be made by the Water Dept.
    • All water service material needed to connect from the main to the house line will be supplied by the city including the corporation, type K copper pipe, meter setting, meter, meter pit, and casting. If meter is installed inside, a curb stop valve and box will be provided instead of meter pit supplies.
    • If the water line and sanitary sewer lines are installed separately, the line must be
    • 10 feet from the center of the sanitary sewer and have an 18” vertical clearance
    • In the event the city water main is on the opposite side of the street, the water line shall not be installed directly across from the driveway approach or sewer line
    • Service line must enter the basement through the wall and extend not less than 3 inches and must be fitted with a stop and waste cock (shut-off valve) – not to exceed 12 inches where the line enters the basement
    • House must have permanent numbers in plastic or metallic numerals before meter is installed
    • No jumper shall be allowed at the meter setting.  All such jumpers found will be removed and water shut off at the curb.  Water will not be turned on until a fee of $250.00 has been paid.
  5. If your waterline is already in the ground, you must first locate the water line and then notify the Water Dept.
  6. Service connection will take place approximately 4-6 weeks, depending upon the work load of the Water Dept. and the weather.
  7. Once the service has been connected, the homeowner or contractor MUST contact the Water Dept. to have the meter installed at the street and the service turned on when ready for water.
  8. If disconnecting a well, contact the Water Dept. to schedule an inspection of the well disconnect – at least 24 hours’ notice; the meter will be set and water turned on the same day; notify the Health Dept. at 330-926-5698 to let them know you are keeping or abandoning the well.
  9. Billing will commence once the water is turned on.  A contract must be signed within two weeks after the service is turned on to avoid disconnection.
  10. Please contact the Water/Sewer Department with any questions at 330-633-0851. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm

City Sewer Tie-in

  • Apply for a sewer permit at City Hall in the Planning and Zoning Department, located at:
    City Hall
    46 North Avenue
    Tallmadge, OH 44278
  • A contractor will tie in the sewer and notify the Water and Sewer Department before covering up.
  • The cost for a residential sewer line is $60.
  • A permit must be taken out if a repair is being made to the sewer and an inspection required before covering up.

Fire Line Charges

Diameter of the Line
2 inch Fire Line F
3 inch Fire Line F
4 inch Fire Line F
6 inch Fire Line F
8 inch Fire Line F
10 inch Fire Line F $549.28