How to Apply for a Permit
Typical processing of a Zoning Permit is 3-5 business days. A Zoning Permit is required prior to issuance of a Building Permit. Building Permit Applications may be made at the Summit County Building Department, 1030 E. Tallmadge Avenue in Akron, OH.
To obtain a Zoning Permit (Single Family Residences, Additions, Fences, Pools, Decks, etc.), applicants must provide the following:
- A completed Zoning Permit Application - Application must include all setback measurements
- Two (2) copies of a detailed site plan showing property boundaries, all structures on the property and proposed structure(s) indicating proposed setback measurement.
- One (1) set of building plans with an elevated view.
To obtain a Street Opening Permit (for projects within the city's right-of-way):
- Fill out a Street Opening Permit Application.
- Submit the application to the Zoning Department.
- Prior to beginning the project, a pre-inspection will need to be scheduled with the Street Department at 330-633-5130.
- Contractors working in the city's right-of-way must be registered. To register, see Contractor Registration.
- All projects within the city's right-of-way require at minimum a $50 permit fee and $100 bond. (depending on the project, a higher bond may be set by the Public Service Department)
- A final inspection must be scheduled and approved with the Street Department prior to the release of the bond.
To obtain a Water and/or Sewer Permit (new tap-in):
- It is important to determine whether or not the parcel is Tallmadge Water and/or Sewer before making application. If you do not know, contact the Water Department to confirm by calling 330-633-0851.
- Submit a Water and/or Sewer Permit Application to the Zoning Department prior to tap-in.
- The contractor making the sewer tie-in must be a registered plumber. To register, see Contractor Registration.
- Inspections must be scheduled through the Water Department.
To obtain a Zoning Certificate for Use and Occupancy permit (new business or change of use):
- Submit a completed Application for Use and Occupancy to the Planning & Zoning Department
- A floor plan must be provided with application
- A brief explanation of services must be provided with application
- The Zoning Department will review for zoning compliance
- The Fire Department will review for fire safety compliance
- Permit will be issued after both departments grant approval