City Standards - Connecting New Developments

Residential/Commercial Water Service up to 2 inches

The following steps will help you through the New Water Service Procedure:

STEP 1 Complete a Tap-In Permit Application, available at the Zoning Department, 46 North Ave, lower level or download here.

STEP 2  Schedule a Site Visit. It is crucial to identify where the water utility is located and in decide the best placement for your water   tap and meter pit location before any excavation is done. The meter pit/shut off must be installed close to the city’s right-of-way and is not allowed to be installed within the driveway. At least a 48-hour notice is necessary to schedule a site visit. During the site visit, the completed application must be signed for approval by the Water Department. This must be done before the permit can be issued. To schedule your site visit, call 330-633-0851.

STEP 3 Submit the application and necessary fees. Once the site visit is completed and the location for water service is determined, you will need to submit the approved Tap-In Permit Application and pay the necessary fees at the Zoning Department. The cost of the permit is a minimum $1,800 plus additional costs (Right-of-Way Bond and/or inspection fees), if necessary.

In the event a Right-of-Way Bond is required, the Contractor will be required to register with the City prior to issuance of the permit. The bond will be returned once all required inspections are completed by the Water Department.

STEP 4 Contact the Water Department to install the meter. Once the service has been connected, the developer or contractor MUST contact the Water Department to have the meter installed at the street and the water service turned on.

STEP 5 Sign the contract within 2 weeks. Billing commences once the water is turned on. A contract must be signed within two weeks after the service is turned on to avoid disconnection.

Please contact the Water Department at 330-633-0851, Monday – Friday, 6:30 am to 3:00 pm with any questions.

Please note that as the developer/contractor, you are responsible for the installation of the water line that runs from the house to the water main. The following standards must be followed:

  • Water line must be 1 inch or larger and 5 feet deep
  • Pipe used must be Type K copper tubing
  • Line must be straight from the house to the ditch or curb line, curled up to grade level
  • Water line must have an initial 18 inches of backfill consisting of sand
  • All water lines must be inspected by the Water Dept. before covered up, especially those with unions, joints, and other fittings
  • Once the inspection is made, the service connection will be made by the contractor
  • Water service material supplied by the Water Dept will include the meter setting, meter, meter pit, casting and lid
  • The water line and sanitary sewer line must be installed in separate ditches with a minimum of 10 feet horizontal separation and have an 18-inch vertical clearance when crossing
  • In the event the city water main is on the opposite side of the street, the water line shall not be installed directly across from the driveway approach or sewer line
  • Service line must be insulated as it enters the basement through the wall or floor and extend not less than 4 inches before being fitted with a stop and waste cock (shut-off valve) – not to exceed 12 inches where the line enters the basement
  • House numbers must visible and easily identifiable in plastic, metallic, or painted numerals before meter is installed
  • Any jumpers found in place of the meter will be removed and water shut off at the curb. Water will not be turned on until a fee of $250.00 has been paid.

If disconnecting a well, contact the Water Department to schedule an inspection at least 24 hours prior to disconnecting, the meter can be set and water turned on the same day; If keeping the well, there must be a backflow preventer installed on the city’s incoming water line, contact the Water Department for more info; notify the County Health Department at 330-926-5698 to let them know if you plan to keep or abandon the well.